Pope Rings Pregnant Woman To Tell Her He Will PERSONALLY Baptise Her Child After She Wrote To Him Saying The Father Wanted Her To Have An Abortion.

Stunned: Shop worker Anna Romano, 35, was shocked to answer her mobile and hear Pope Francis on the end of the line. He reassured her about her decision to keep her unborn child

  • Anna Romano was on holiday when her mobile rang with an unknown Rome number
  • She was stunned to hear Pope Francis on the other end reassuring her
  • Anna wrote to the Pope about her worries about having a baby with a man who was already married and tried to convince her to have an abortion
  • New Pope has also telephoned an Italian student and a man whose brother was killed and shows a more personable side to the Catholic leader Pope Francis has telephoned a woman who wrote to him to tell her he will baptise her unborn after she refused to have an abortion. The call was the latest in a string of 'one to ones' Pope Francis has had with general members of the public and once again underlined his attempts at being a more human and in-touch pontiff after the 'stuffy' years of his predecessor Benedict XVI.


Shop worker Anna Romano, 35, was on holiday when she received the call from the Argentinian pope, who was elected in March this year.Anna, from Arezzo near Florence, central Italy, had written to Pope Francis earlier this summer to describe her turmoil at having discovered she was pregnant by a man, who unknown to her, was already married with a child and who demanded she terminate the pregnancy.In her letter she described to the Pope her dilemma and said to him: 'I have never been lucky with men, I married when I was young and then things didn't work out and I got divorced. I then had a few brief relationships until I met a man who I thought was the man of my dreams.'In June I discovered I was pregnant through him and when I told him instead of being happy he told me he was already married, already had a child and to have an abortion.'I told him that I would not have an abortion and told him to get out of my life.' 
Anna added how she was 'in a desperate and anguished state' and that she was writing to Pope Francis because she had 'no-one else to turn to, after being left humiliated and betrayed'.Speaking from her home she added: 'I addressed the letter simply to Pope Francis, the Vatican and put it in the post. I didn't even send it recorded delivery. I didn't really expect to get a reply but then out of the blue when I was on holiday I had a phone call from him.'The number was from Rome, with a 06 dial code, and as soon as he started speaking I recognised the voice as his. 'I was just so surprised that he had telephoned me. He said that he had read my letter and he wanted to speak to me personally about it and reassure me that someone was worried about me. 'We were only on the phone for a few minutes but my heart was filled with joy, as we spoke I was rubbing my tummy at the same time. 'I had only seen the Pope once before, from St Peter's Square when I lived in Rome, I would never have imagined that the Pope would pick up a telephone and call me and speak to me as if I was a dear friend. 

'He reassured me and said a child was a gift from God, a sign of Divine Providence and that I would never be left alone. He said that as Christians we should never be afraid.'He told me I had been very brave and strong for my unborn child. I told him that I wanted to baptise the baby when it was born but I was afraid as I was divorced and a single mother but he said he would be my spiritual father and he would baptise my baby. 'I'm not sure if he will, I feel as if I am dreaming but if he did baptise my baby it would be something else, that telephone call has changed my life.'I hope my letter will be an example for other women who feel they may be distant from the Church simply because they have chosen the wrong man, they are divorced or they are with men who are not worthy of being fathers. 'I don't know the sex of the baby but if the Pope does baptise it and it's a boy I have no doubt of his name - Francis.'

Popular new Pope: A view of St. Peter's square during the inauguration mass of Pope Francis, Vatican City, on March 19 this year
Popular new Pope: A view of St. Peter's square during the inauguration mass of Pope Francis, Vatican City, on March 19 this year

The phone call was the latest in a string that Pope Francis has made since he was elected and underlines his hands on, man of the people style which has also recently included him posing for a 'selfie' photograph with a group of tourists inside St Peter's Basilica.He usually makes his calls from a landline in his office and simply says 'Hello. It's the Pope,' to the amazement of recipients who have included an Italian student last month, as well as a man whose brother was killed, his local newsagent back home in Buenos Aries to cancel his newspapers and a shoemaker to tell him not to bother making the traditional and expensive bright red papal loafer shoes.A Vatican spokesman said: 'I know nothing of this telephone call but then again we knew nothing of the others. The Pope doesn't tell us when he makes these calls - he just does them and then we find out about them later.' www.dailymail.com


Comments