'Dubai Police Called Me A Fat English Pig, Put Me In Handcuffs And Punched Me Repeatedly'

AN innocent Brit says she was beaten up by Dubai police officers who called her a “fat English pig”.
ORDEAL: Rebecca Groom at home in the UK after living in Dubai for 30 years [MATRIXPICTURES]
Rebecca Groom claims she still has scars and was thrown into a dirty prison for two months after a car ran into the back of her parked vehicle. The 42-year-old says she was ­repeatedly punched by a male officer in a locked police car. Rebecca spoke exclusively to the Daily Star Sunday after their ­revelations into the treatment of ­Rebecca Blake, who was jailed after being falsely accused of a sex romp. Rebecca, now living in Swindon, Wilts, said: “Dubai was the country I grew up in, I loved it. I was there for 30 years. “But it’s changed so much. I’m still shocked. It’s broken my heart and shattered my life.”
FUN IN THE SUN: Rebecca's younger days in Dubai [REBECCA GROOM]
Her ordeal started when she went to collect something from her car and another driver crashed into it. She phoned police for help, only to be arrested herself. She said: “The officer asked if I’d been drinking and I said I’d had a glass of wine in my home earlier but that I hadn’t been in my car. “He put me in his car but I wasn’t worried because I hadn’t done anything. “The next thing I knew the doors were locked. I was placed in handcuffs that were so tight they cut off my circulation and while I was bound the policeman completely went to town on me. I still have scars. “He punched me in the head over and over, calling me a fat English pig. “All I could do was cry. I was black and blue.” Rebecca was taken to an underground prison where she spent two months, with no clue as to why. “The jail was unlike anything I had ever seen,” she said. “I had no idea places like that even existed. “It still makes me sick to think of the ­conditions. There were rats and one girl was bitten. “The toilet was a hole in the floor. It was appalling. I was given a single mattress and it had to be shared between three of us on the floor.” ­Rebecca said the cell block was meant to house 20 people but at one point it held 70 women.
IDYLLIC: More pictures show Rebecca's lifestyle in the capital of the United Arab Emirates [REBECCA GROOM]
She added: “One girl was only there because she had farted in a ­supermarket by accident. “The way they treat women is barbaric. We were beaten daily. “Eventually I was told I was in there on a drink driving charge and that I could go if I paid 30,000 dirhams, which is about £6,000. “I refused and they put me in front of a judge where, because I can speak Arabic, I explained my ­situation and said I wasn’t paying so he let me out. “Other girls are completely helpless. I spent two months in total hell.” Rebecca was released on July 9, the first day of ­Ramadan, and flew to Britain. She said: “I am looking forward to carrying on with my life. “I am ­starting to fall back in love with the UK. “We don’t realise how good we have it here. “It has made me realise that freedom is priceless.” A Daily Star report.

Comments