Mysterious Ageing Disease Leaves Young Men Looking Like Pensioners

A YOUNG MAN in China has been struck by a mysterious disease that has left him looking half a century older. Yuan Taiping is 30 years old but from the deep wrinkles and swollen joints he looks more like someone in their 80s.

The resident of China’s Chongqing municipality developed the disease almost a decade ago. He had aged like anyone else until after he turned 21 and he began to notice odd changes to his looks.

He soon realised he was witnessing his body age uncontrollably in front of him. The mysterious medical condition has baffled Chinese doctors but it remains a daily struggle for Mr Taiping.
 
He said: "I was born in 1985. My illness began when I was about 21 years old – it’s been nine years now. "When it began, my hands and feet started swelling, and then wrinkles appeared on my face.  "Now it’s just getting worse and worse every year. I also feel more fatigued as the years go on."
 
He first attributed his swollen arms and legs and deep winkles to his stressful work load and worried outlook. However, his condition has continued deteriorate over the years despite copious amounts of medicine.
 
The construction company manager has even been turned away in taking out cash from the bank for no longer resembling his younger ID card.
 
Mr Yuan’s wife Xiang Chunyan said: "People stare at us and give us strange looks on the street.  "Some people say I am young and wondered why I ended up with such an old man." The mysterious illness seems to have gripped other people in the area too.  Mr Yuan's younger brother has also been affected by the strange condition.
Yuan Taihua, at just 25, is currently suffering from severe oedema and swollen limbs.  He already has to go to the hospital regularly to drain the swelling. Two other people from their village and a neighbouring village are also found to suffer from the condition.
 
However, compared to the rest of China, Mr Yuan's village is relatively free of pollution and so abnormal toxicity has been ruled out. Medical experts guessed that the illness could be acromegaly, a condition in which the body produces excess growth hormone. But, more tests will need to be conducted for them to be certain.
 
Until they have been successfully diagnosed, both Mr Yuan and his younger brother will continue to suffer through their condition.  The elder Mr Yuan pleaded: "I worry for my family. My brother is also suffering from the same condition now – his hands and feet have started swelling.
 
"I am asking the public for help. Please, somebody, help me find the root of my condition and teach me how to cure it." Source; Express Uk

Comments