Jonathan Contradicts Obasanjo On Third Term, Asks For A Stronger Parliaments To Checkmate Incumbents

Former President Goodluck Jonathan has for the first time bared his mind on the alleged third term controversial bid of ex-President Olusegun Obasanjo. Obasanjo has never admitted that he sought an extension after the expiration of his tenure in 2007.

“People say that it was obvious that I wanted a third term and I ask those who say I was behind the third term to bring concrete evidence to prove that I spearheaded it,” Obasanjo noted during the launch of My Watch, his autobiography.

“Third term was not my agenda or intention. I didn’t mastermind third term. Those who were telling me to go on were the governors that were going to benefit from it.” 

However, speaking at the National Democratic Institute (NDI) and the Centre for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS) in Washington, Jonathan said: “I was a governor at that time, but due to strong resistance from the national assembly, the third-term bid failed.” Jonathan noted that Africa needed strong parliaments to checkmate presidents desperate for prolonged stay in office.

“Changing constitutions to eliminate term limits in order to favour incumbents is inconsistent with democratic principles and reduces confidence in democratic institutions. “This is a disturbing precedent for the region and continent”, he added. Jonathan, who also shared his experience as an international observer in Tanzania, also disclosed that he will soon launch his foundation.

Comments