Zaria Massacre: A Letter To President Muhammadu Buhari, By Jafaar Jafaar

Dear Sir,
#I write to register my displeasure, as a concerned citizen of Nigeria, over the killing of defenceless citizens of this country by the Nigerian Army over the weekend in Zaria.

I am sure you received a briefing from your National Security Adviser on the incident. I know, in your daily bulletins, internal and external security challenges are captured, with pictorial attachments to boot. I know on your press clippings, your media office must have highlighted major issues for you. As an addict of the international Hausa radio services, you may have heard the lead stories regarding your country. I’m sure you know, more than anybody else, what happened in Zaria.
By way of a rehash, may I inform you that armed soldiers laid siege to the residence of the leader of the Shiite movement in Nigeria, Ibrahim Elzakzaky, killed hundreds of people, demolished his house and bombed the group’s sanctuary over the weekend.
I know they told you the killing of the hundreds was precipitated by the Shiite adherents’ effrontery, as they denied the convoy of your Chief of Army Staff, Tukur Buratai, passage through an area. Yes, it is true.
Permit me to tell you that my heart bled when I spoke with a friend working at Ahmadu Bello University Teaching Hospital, Shika. He said 172 bodies, including those of women and children, were registered in that hospital alone, adding that dozens other bodies were deposited in other hospitals.
I know your commitment towards the fight against terrorism, but despite that I doubt if Nigerian troops have killed 172 Boko Haram insurgents, in spite of your spirited efforts, in the last six months

Sir, the magnitude of the Zaria crackdown tells one that such operation could not have been be executed without the express order of the Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces.
May I kindly remind you about the principle of the rule of tacit admission, hinged on an ancient maxim of common law that says “silence gives consent”.
Dear Mr. President, your deafening silence, is construed as admission of your consent to even some of your fanatical supporters.
Sir, I am surprised that as a person who repeatedly condemned the killing of civilians, particularly in the North-East, such atrocities are happening under your watch – and even command – as a C-in-C without uttering a word.
Your Excellency, a few years ago you remember how we supported and defended you when you criticised your predecessor and cautioned the military on the rules of engagement and violation of citizens’ rights.
Sir, when you were hosted to that popular radio programme, “Bakonmu Na Mako” on Liberty Radio on June 2, you re-echoed your standpoint on human rights violations and rules of engagement.
I hope I won’t bother you much if I reproduce some of your words during the interview, admonishing the late Umaru Yar’Adua for killing members of Boko Haram without subjecting them to trial.
“The appropriate thing to do,” you said during the June 2, 2013 interview, “according to the law, was for the police to carry out investigations and charge him (Mohammed Yusuf) to court for prosecution, but they killed him, his in-law was killed, they went and demolished their houses. Because of that, his supporters resorted to what they are doing today.”
Your Excellency, you never denied saying these foregoing words, advocating justice to even those who used firearms and explosives against the state.
Yes, we have seen pictures of the Shiites bearing cudgels, slingshots and machetes but we have not seen one picture showing them bearing a gun, even a dane gun.
My fear is (as you noted in 2013) the after-effect of the violent repression that led to the death of prominent members of the Shiite group and the demolition of their house and shrine.
I must agree with you that the excesses of Shiite members are becoming refractory, out of hand, but I must disagree with you that such bloody crackdown by your government is the solution.
Whenever I remember past events and tie them to current happenings, I shake my head and smile.
I remember joining you to criticise your predecessor, Goodluck Jonathan, for silence and failure to act over the abduction of over 200 school girls.
I shake my head in disbelief that you have kept silent days after at least 200 people were massacred in Zaria.
Accept my warmest regards, please.
Sincerely,
Jaafar Jaafar
jafsmohd@yahoo.com

Comments